Thursday, April 3, 2014

First 5k of the year

This race is one that I have a great memory of from years ago. Every few years the island fire/ems/police get all amped up about fitness. About 5 years ago they made an "emergency services relay" part of this 5k. It was the one and only year this was done and Edgartown entered a team. In a department of over 60 people we could only find 2 to run so we recruited my friend Joel whom I ran track with in HS, he is an assistant coach with the MVRHS team today.  

So we had myself, Joel, and Chris Hargy; Firefighter, EMT, Sheriff's Deputy. Chris was the kind of guy that was always up for something fun like this. Now let me remind you, this is a 5k. 3.1 miles. A relay? Really? Yes. It was ridiculous but we did it. The 3 or 4 teams flew through the course, I was lucky, 3rd leg, all downhill. Chris? 2nd mile, all UPHILL. He was a champ. I remember crossing the finish line and seeing him puking in the woods, he gave 110% that day and for what? bragging rights? Not really. An award? None that I know of. He was just that kind of guy, he gave you his best, and even though he was puking his guts out he still managed to give me a big smile and a high five.

He always had a big smile for everyone. He was a quiet guy in large situations but if you were, say, stationed at the school kitchen cooking bacon and sausage for hours during the annual pancake breakfast at the fire station? He was a blast, especially if his wife, Molly, was there too. Together they could keep a bystander in stitches with their humorous bickering.

Chris left us in august of 2012. One of those losses that leaves us all reeling, questioning, hurting, and wondering why. Cancer SUCKS. 

I don't run because of Chris, I run for other reasons. That being said, whenever I run East Chop, or drive by the park where that race ends, or ride in the ladder truck, or check the ambulance, I think of him and miss him.

Side note: I blew my 5k best time out of the water :) came in 5th for women, 15th overall!


No comments:

Post a Comment