Friday, January 17, 2014

Running in the Rain (Physically and Metaphorically)

We had a beautiful rain day here on the island Tuesday. I managed to get out of work a little early and got in a 3.88 mile jaunt on the "Old Dump Loop".  That route really takes me home, it goes through the area I grew up in and it's off the beaten path and isn't especially scenic so there's not a ton of traffic. It's got a little bit of gradual elevation gain which is nice because it tricks my body into thinking it's just a nice flat run. 

There's something empowering about running in the rain. I returned to the house soaking wet and slightly chilled yet with a smile on my face. It refreshes my spirit. Before this venture into running, drizzly days were some of the only times I was inspired to run. It takes me back to being a kid and getting grubby and sweaty and not caring that my hair is plastered to my head, I've got mud up my leg, or that my socks are soaking wet. It's magic.

One thing I'm reaffirming about running, biking, hockey, really any good, solid, physical activity, is that it is extremely cathartic both physically and emotionally. I am going through a challenging time in my life. I may get a bit more into it at a later date but suffice to say my current rough patch has to do with my failed marriage. It is nothing that others haven't gone through before me and others will go through after me, each journey is different and I'm trying to navigate mine. A piece of solace through this, on top of the incredible support and love of family and friends, is the balance that comes when I lace up my sneakers (or skates) and head out to clear my mind and strengthen my body. 

Setting this goal of 500 miles and sticking to it gives me something I have complete control over whereas in other aspects of my life things may feel like they are coming apart at the seams. The running allows me the space and time I need to clear my head, to sweat out the stress, and to shift my focus to a tangible, trackable goal, if just for a short time each week. It's not an escape per say, but a chance to recharge and center myself. It's my chance to be me.



No comments:

Post a Comment